October 29, 2007

Chosing Sides

I just went through my favorites and deleted every blog that started with: "I'm not really a fan of baseball, but the Rockies/Red Sox are my team."

Whew.
Glad that's over.

A trip to Wrigley with my BF Linda in 6th grade.
Painting and placing a "Tigers" sign in yard after the '84 Series
Nursing baby during the world series in '87.
Last years' field trip to a fictional movie set in Dyersville, Iowa.
Wishing I could have seen Tony Schmid play just one game of his errorless 4 yrs of college ball.
Working on a story and video about why my 80 year old dad should sing the national anthem at a Major League Stadium, in the not to distant future.
Countless recent years wishin' and hopin' for a team--any team of mine --Tigers or Cubs to steer clear of the old adage, "There's always next year."
That's a baseball fan.

And I've been meaning to write a post on Theology, but seems Claudia…..at Ragamuffin Diva cracked open my crusty heart and misplaced mind and wrote it for me. She's playing for my team.

The Key points of hers that I plagiarized are as follows: He, being Jesus.
1. He irritated the religious scholars by refusing to engage their endless "conversations" and complicated theological battles. He spent more time eating and drinking (they called him a drunkard and glutton) with all the wrong people.
2. He thought more about those who were marginalized, and not so much about the religious leaders who thought they knew all there was to know about God. And maybe they really did know all there was to know. Well not all. God was right in front of them and they missed it.
3. The fact is, none of us has it all right. We all see through a glass darkly. Sometimes I read the church fathers and see a misogyny that Jesus didn't have. Why, because they were just men. And they were seeking God just like I am.
4. I find myself with a deep respect for the roots of my faith, and a great enthusiasm for the fresh green shoots sprouting off the vine today, even if those shoots can be a little screwy sometimes. (She may as well have said, emerging off the vine today) Parenthesis mine.
5. I'm not a theologian. I doubt I'll ever become one. I'm a storyteller much more interested in about how we engage the God that we do have a relationship with, and how that plays out in how we treat our fellow man.

I hate cliches, but what would Jesus do, for crying out loud?


Come to me all you
Who are weary and burdened,

And I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you
And learn from me,

For I am gentle and humble,
And I will give you rest for your souls.
Saint Matthew 11: 28 & 29






I did not retouch this photo.

2 Got Comments?:

Lallee said...

That list is one of the many reasons I love Jesus!

Nunnie's Attic said...

That list is great! And Lord knows it could apply to everyone.

Love,
Julie