May 23, 2008

I Believe In Evolution

I simply cannot stop thinking about the Chapman family. While reading more about the tragedy I discovered that the family was hours away from hosting their son’s graduation party. May God bless you, keep you, wrap you in His peace, and make His face shine upon you, as you mourn and try to celebrate together.  www.stevencurtischapman.com



Yesterday I hibernated upstairs and stirred the pot on a few pieces I’ve been working on. As always, when I go up to the cottage, I tend to drift. For quite some time I’ve been researching and writing about the music I was raised on. This is by no means ready to send out, but I felt compelled to share a condensened version. This is how music, and Christian music in particular, has played such an integral role in Julee Ann's Journey.  Winona Lake is where "christian" music first appeared in the form of--well, something other than hymns--in my life. But, let’s back up a bit, shall we? To be honest, I would have to say, The King’s Trio was my first taste of boundry pushing music. And by boundry pushing, I mean sticking a tiny little toe into the non-hymnal bathwater.

Call me hokey, cheesy, and/or just downright tasteless, but give me some good 'ole down home twangy gospel with a side of tacky please, and I'll still get goosebumps every time I hear "I'll Fly Away" or "Will The Circle Be Unbroken"  

This is where Darwin's theory comes into play.

If you did not grow up  in my era, or had a more secular music filled home (part two of my research), you may get a bit lost while walking down my memory lane, so I’ve provided some links and a sidebar playlist filled with my favorites. You're welcome.

As I look back, ALL my favorites  had songs that tanked, and I  even enjoyed their mistakes. Wait, I take that back Butterfly Kisses  never sat well with me, and went from bad to worse in it’s repetiveness. Too much air time can turn a great song sour, as in Michael W. Smiths' Friends.    When asked if she wrote and sang songs she regrets, Amy Grant will mention one about a raisin. Love Song sang about sitting in the back seat, while God did the drivin'.  In the height of you’re-going-to-hell-if-you-listen-to-anything-but-hymns-era, Larry Norman titled one Why Should The Devil Have All The Good Music.
 
So consider the source here folks. If you want to argue with me, I’ll only listen, if you label yourself anything but a: 
Midwest 
50ish
Baptist
Female
Living in a constant emotional state. 
  
If you live in that state with me you'll love every song and word in this post.

So yes, I’ve evolved. 
Today my iPod shuffles through the likes of Kirk Franklin, Seven Glory, Chris Thomlin, and Mercy Me. Cutting edge, I KNOW! I might need to make reservations for Springhill’s 2nd Annual Music Festival this fall.  Maybe even some Rothbury reasearch for the article.

 I had a friend in college who shall remain named Mark Thompson. He believed music is amoral and shouldn’t be considered Christian or non Christian. I agree wholeheartedly and try not to label people, places, or songs. 
Just look how I said absolutely nothing negative about The King’s Trio—seems we raked that little blast from the past over enough coals at our family reunion last week-end.

But for the sake of my nostalgic argument I give you:

My bucket list of Christian singers, songwriters, and favorite groups. For old song’s sake, click Play on the Retro Christian playlist to the above right or visit the websites. 
Push Fast Forward or Rewind to scroll over all songs.


In order of  no particular:

2.    Amy Grant
6.    Love Song
7.    dc Talk
8.    Newsboys

Honorable Mention:

1 Got Comments?:

Cindy Swanson said...

"Midwest
50ish
Baptist
Female
Living in a constant emotional state."

Wow! You pretty much nailed me there. That sums me up in a nutshell!

Loved the post. Also (I know you asked me about this earlier), I really do encourage you to send your family's album cover to Purgatorio's Divine Vinyl--he's always looking for material! :)