November 14, 2007

Chapter, Verse, And The Beatles

It's been a hard days night and lately I've felt like there are eight days a week, so I went ahead and put our asses on a budget.  Friday, Grover rented 4 movies (not typical, but it's the first week-end in about a year we've had nothing to do/plan/attend/work at/or travel to) and not his usual 2. So he had spent his entertainment quota. 
I, on the other hand, decided to spend my $15. allotment at the local theatre (somewhat typical, because what is the point of going to the movies with someone? I like to go by myself, slink down into a seat and lose myself in the S.T.O.R.Y.) Let it be.

I fell in love. 
From the first scene of Jude sitting on a lonely beach near Liverpool signing to the camera, to crazy-ass psychedelic scenes that had to be there--it WAS the 60's, after all, I fell in love.
And I kept falling. 
I fell in love with the characters, the musical arrangements, the colors, the story, the camera angles, the innuendos. 
There were blatant innuendos. One being the characters' names; Jude, Lucy, Prudence. 
There were subtle innuendos, as well. The dock foreman that delivers Jude his last paycheck before he heads across the pond, bemoans the fact he may still be in this god-awful place when he's 64. 
Lucy and Jude argue that he should protest, get involved, and join her cause.
"What's wrong with you?" she screams at his indifference. "Why can't you fight for a cause?" His answer made me cry. 
"I don't have one, and that's the problem." 

I don't want to give away too much  but I politicized and spiritualized the whole movie.

For the next year or so, we'll hear  hellfire and brimstone from the D's about how bad the R's have screwed up our country.  Unless one of the candidates finds the mother ship, I might vote in alphabetical order (not sure if I'll use first or last names). How much debating, protesting, ranting and telling us we got it so wrong will it take to win the vote?
  
Christians can rant with the best of politicians.   They want to preach, judge, and save the sinner. That's not how I roll. I AM the sinner and the only thing that will reach me and the world is  love.  If you don't want to show it through love, don't talk to me. You can carry signs, paint your afro, hold up placards, in the stadium or on your blog, and point your finger until you are blue or red in the face. 
But if you don't have love you are just a loud annoyance. 1 Corinthians 13:1  
On the other hand, love is a verb. So don't fricken always talk about it and never do anything. Take care of the widows,  orphans, and those less fortunate. St James 1:27  
Love your neighbor, Democrats, Emerging Church Members, AND homosexuals, as yourself. Romans 13:9 
Don't think more highly of yourself than others. Philippians 2:3,4 
Quit judging, lest you be judged. Luke 6:37 
And start spreadin' the good news, not your latest stance.  

I'm not sure if I would have been a good hippie or not.  Today, you'll find me siting on the fence if certain arguments arise.  The only thing I would ever paint on a placard is "I don't have religion, I have a relationship."  A love relationship.Luke 10:27 
Love is all you need. 
There is no dress rehearsal, people.  Come together, right now. If we get it wrong, there will come a day. 
Every knee shall bow. Romans 14:11
 
This is my post and my life, as it was then and now, across the universe. 

9 Got Comments?:

elizabeth said...

Beatles lyrics and Bible verses - I love it! I still need to see that movie.

Rox said...

I heard the soundtrack while I was picking up Melissa E's latest disc. It was playing in the CD/Book store. I asked what it was, the girl told me and I bought it. The soundtrack is fabulous! I can't wait to see the movie!

Anonymous said...

Oh Julee. I read your posts, alot you crazy random writer. So I say this with the love you spoke about...I can't shut up anymore...are you angry, pent up? I keep hearing it..the echos keep coming... It is more than passion... Am I off? Somewhere I think I read you asked for an editor. I stink at copy editing, but I can zero in on threads of topic and see what is emerging...

Julee Ann said...

:) I am all of those things you mentioned. Wait until you read my next one.

Back away from the blogger.

I LOVED your comment and thanks for giving it to me straight.

It is more than passion, and I probably should take it to the source.

Thanks for mentioning and supporting Africa '08 at A Spacious Place.

savvycityfarmer said...

I think possibly there's been another misunderstanding here as with P.

There is a huge difference between love and conviction....what's right is right it has nothing to do with stance.

Let's back up..I'll have to agree with the comments of Angela...something else seems sad fully wrong..and I must say that it seems to have everything to do with your statement "I am the sinner"...

I am clearly not an editor either, but this "thread" appears frequently...let's get it settled WHO we are in Christ...we WERE sinners....now we are heirs...yes we sin...but as far as the east is from the west He has removed our transgressions and remembers them no more...end of story...however it is just the beginning.


Let's start acting like we're adopted into this "family" and quit touting ourselves as lowly sinners...

If I may so gently say, this I believe is the emerging thread that Angela noticed, it has a tendancy to complicate something very simple.

You mentioned you are all of those things...why the anger and the pent up"ness"?
Along with love we have a responsibility to the world to have the joy of the Lord... Colossians 3 gives us the exact recipe for daily living..signs should be following us everywhere..."and these signs shall follow all who believe..."

then and only then will the world see Jesus...love will accompany automatically....

I long for this be settled in your soul.

savvycityfarmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nunnie's Attic said...

Julee Ann,
I liked this post. I love the scriptures that you paraphrased and the point behind them. But Angela and Cyn probably aren't too far off base. But I see this a way for you to vent your frustrations without letting the entire world in on your deepest, innermost thoughts and feelings. Rant on, baby. Rave if you must. Just remember that it is by His blood that we will be made clean as snow.

Love,
Julie

Julee Ann said...

Joy,
Gently said, of course.

No misunderstanding on my part. I think it was pretty clear, what happened over there today.

I hope my post clears up your worries about me.

Angela,
I had to intersperse this post. There's another one that had to go on the back burner about audacity and tactfulness.

Carolyn Burns Bass said...

Rock on, Julee Ann.