The last couple of days, I've been trying to see the world through different eyes. Changing lenses, so to speak.
Filtering.
*****
Often, phone conversations with my kids go like this:
Them: "Hi, what ya doin?"
Me: "Writing. What you doin?"
Them: "Editing, studying, working, driving, eating.
In Melissa's case;
getting ready to:
I decided to put my zoom lens on for a minute.
I can't imagine how hard it will be for you to leave these people when you break circle on Tuesday. I doubt you and Mary will be holding back LAUGHTER during, "If We Hold On, Together."
She flinched at first, but then delved into details, proving my point. She's been with some, constant for a year and others off and on, for two. She continued with how hard it will be, knowing she might not see some of them again.
*****
Often, phone conversations with my kids go like this:
Them: "Hi, what ya doin?"
Me: "Writing. What you doin?"
Them: "Editing, studying, working, driving, eating.
In Melissa's case;
getting ready to:
go back in there,
set up,
tear down,
take a shower
or go to bed."
set up,
tear down,
take a shower
or go to bed."
I decided to put my zoom lens on for a minute.
I can't imagine how hard it will be for you to leave these people when you break circle on Tuesday. I doubt you and Mary will be holding back LAUGHTER during, "If We Hold On, Together."
She flinched at first, but then delved into details, proving my point. She's been with some, constant for a year and others off and on, for two. She continued with how hard it will be, knowing she might not see some of them again.
She spoke with tenderness and pauses, contemplating, I'm sure, decisions she must make.
*****
She's been on the run for almost three years and just as many continents. Her facebook map has markers in 111 towns. She's met some amazing people. She's learned a lifetime of lessons in just these few short years. She's sung, danced and taught songs, too many to count.
Sometimes when I watch her on stage, my camera viewfinder only sees a little girl in pigtails struggling to say Madame Alexander. I put the camera down and see a happy, caring, mature woman. Then my camera becomes a viewmaster and I see her childhood in the frames. Especially when she's in the penquin costume ;)
She complains a lot of being tired and sore. And rightly, so.
It's hard to feel sorry for her, when she gets to live her passion every day. Sing, travel, and mentor.
But I bite my lip and remind myself I was trying to see it from her viewpoint.
*****
During a pep talk, her directors tried to tell them how different their generation was with how they communicate. They spoke of the Internet and made comments like, "It's so easy for you to stay in touch and yet so hard to have real relationships through technology."
I'm not sure what the eventual point of the pep talk was; but I say, that her group even affords a greater difference than the rest her generation. They are a rare breed, these 40 or so young adults traveling in a 85sq ft bus, or Penske truck cabs. They rehearse, teach and have to confront, care, and keep the lines of communication open. There is no time or want for pettiness, self indulgence or drama. When situations arise, they go all golden rule on each other and move on. Together they fall in love with town kids only to say good-bye within a few days. They fall in love with each other and try not to think about the inevitable. When they have a rare day off they all sit around in a gymnasium locker room or an auditorium dressing room and speak to each other eye to eye. Or they cluster in groups at homestays and share stories of life and relationships. When they grow weary of conversation, they write, sing, and play more music. Sometimes, of course, they speak of the trivial, but more often than not, they're up late at night having meaningful conversations, talking about living the dream, and changing the world.
They will.
*****
No wonder it will be so hard for you to say good-bye. But you are strong and know the author of your strength. When you come to the end of this road on Tuesday eve, give thanks with a grateful heart, throw your arms around each other and mean it when you say you'll stay connected.
*****
Her keypad will be her lifeline.
I will be so happy to have you upstairs for a few months. Even if you are down the street visiting an old friend, or talking/typing/texting with far-away ones.



2 Got Comments?:
I just told another blogger that the greatest gift a mother can give to her children is Roots and Wings. You've done that Julee. Train up a child, the bible says. You should be so proud!
Love,
Julie
This was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read of yours. You are deeply empathetic and have always had such a passion and hope for the next generation. Even for me a non-groupie!...And there is passion and hope for your own, too. I did get your e-mail, I will write back.
Post a Comment