November 07, 2007

Not Ready To Make Nice

We're three songs into the CMA's. We've heard Rascall Flatts, Miranda Lambert and George Straight. 

We're O for 3 notes.

Montgomery Gentry: Learn to read, and then fade into oblivion. Martina McBride's song is not titled Away.

Song of the Year: Give It Away by George Straight. Why the heck didn't he sing it, then?

What do Kid Rock, Jessica Simpson, Kay Walsh, Jewel, and Sheryl Crow, have to do with Country music? For that matter, what does Taylor Swift have to do with any music? Maybe you, your set, and your glitter guitar, could audition for high school musical 4.

Sara Evans- classyyyyyy!

Did country music songwriters go on strike also? 
Brad, we would love you even if all you did was cover George Straight songs. Seriously, a song about MySpace? A marching band AND Kelly Pickler? Wait---what is going on? Oh, I get it, her and Taylor are just proving the old adage. White girls can't dance.

Allison Krause: There is a God in Heaven. That's all you need is a simple song like that. It's called music, folks! Oh yeah, and pictures.

Big & Rich: You like it loud? You know how I like it? Fast forwarded.

Vocal group of the year: Let me typecast for a second.  I guess Rascal Flatts is the new Brooks & Dunn. Poor thangs!

Wow the brand new writer's strike is even affecting the announcers. Here's a novel idea, pick a host and go with Vince Gill.

Rodney Atkins: Some of your people shoulda said something.

Carrie Underwood: I lied earlier about all the songs having 3 notes-- your song sung in the yellow Belle Disney dress had 4 notes! High school musical cinco?

Vince Gill introducing the Eagles. Don't do this to me.  He needs to sing.  It's what I was born to hear. Eagles:  Once again, folks, let me remind you of what that was in case you didn't recognize it.  That was music and talent. 

Just because you keep touring does not mean we should listen to your sorry ass excuse of a song about how God must be busy. Really? Amber alert? Immigration? The Bloods and Crips are at it again? All that politically correctness and the only thing I could think of the WHOLE TIME you're singing is: that mustache has GOT to go.

Jason Aldean: More singing of 3 or 4 note songs. Is this not an awards show? They've given out two so far and it's an hour into the show.

CMA Duo: Sugarland don't get too excited--read--Brooks and Dunn wannabe's! And also--you're drunk.

Somebody has GOT to bring an edge to these awards. And it's not gonna be Dwight Yokum. With Thank-You tattooed inside his gaudy blazer. Uh huh. Oh no you dint.

Album of the year: The only reason Vince Gill didn't win this is because These Days was a 4 Album Set.  Filled with over 80 awesome, entertaining, original, AND country songs, something we could use a little more of tonight.

Most overused phrase: Mixin the hell outta it.

Thanks for putting the giant words up on the screen during the Martina song. That helped us not concentrate on her rocking it out to a semi-ballad.

Keith Urban. Every body. Needs somebody. And you know I do too!
Producers! It would have been perfect timing to cut-a-way to Nicole Kidman. Nope.

Does this whole thing seem a bit campy?  And preachy.  And boring.  And not entertaining. 
Bless the children livin' in these times.
You got a voice--let it be heard.
Gang warfare.
The middle east war is still on.
 
I did not know that! 
Who knew I'd be wishin' for some beer for my horses.

Horizon. Taylor Swift. "I wanna thank you so much for giving me this award. This is the highlight of my senior year, and I wore this dress to prove it. I can't even believe this is true."
Neither can I, sweetie, neither can I.

Leann, Reba, Dwight, B & D, why the hell can't the Judds come back and sing once in a friggin' while.
And why doesn't anyone wear cowboy hats anymore?

Little Big Town. Thank you.

Dierks Bentley. Classyyyyyy. And of course, you would have a crush on Alison. We all do.

Female vocalist: Please don't thank American Idol. Please don't thank American Idol. Please don’t thank American Idol. Please don't thank American Idol.
Dad blast it.

Hall of Fame inductees = 3
Hall of Fame inductees that get to speak = 0

I'm so mad I'm going to start watching the commercials and I'm not even gonna wear my seat belt.

Would somebody PLEASE get me an American Music Awards ballot.

Excuse me, but are they using the same footage in the background for Kenny Chesney as they did for Martina, who used the same cheesy pictures as Keith Urban.

Josh Turner: Light hearted, melodic, play on words, fiddles, steel guitar, good looker, neon on the big screen, acoustical, harmony, talented, surprises, sizzle,
THE WHOLE  PACKAGE.  There we go.

Kelly Pickler: Somebody needs to get that girl some counseling. Please!

Male Vocalist: Love ya Brad. Wow! Didn't see that one coming. Still, shoulda been Josh Turner. Love ya Geroge, but thank god almighty it wasn't Kenny Chesney

Wait--Noooooo--this can't be happening--Rascal Flatts--They're singing AGAIN. (Or trying to.) Noooo! Dagummit! They already sang. What is wrong with you people? Give me Dolly Parton or Kenny Rogers. Anyone. Barbara Mandrell I'll take Elvira! Anything. I will listen to Billy Ray Cyrus' Achy Breaky Heart nonstop for the rest of my life if you'll make it stop. Oh, and here comes Jamie Foxx. Too bad he could do nothing to fix that train wreck.
Hideous, hideous train wreck.
Why couldn't I look away.
Thankfully we're nearing the end.

Entertainer of the year. Typical. Nobody has any guts. Followers, all of you. You've crowned your kenny and carrie and no one wants to rock the boat. Voter pansies that don't even know what a mutiny is, let alone how to pull one off.
Kenny, at least you wore a cowboy hat. And sleeves.

And we're out.
Roll Credits --oh YEAH, and replay some outtakes of what made this such an unfortunate waste of my evening.

4 Got Comments?:

Nunnie's Attic said...

Geez, Julee - get a hold of yourself! It's just an awards show. I agree that country has lost it's 'country.' But, darlin' you seem truly upset. Take a breath honey!

Love ya,
Julie

Julee Ann said...

Thanks, Julie! I'm feelin' a little better in the light of day! Little is the operative word here. :)

Distant Timbers Echo said...

"Maybe you, your set, and your glitter guitar, could audition for high school musical 4."

Hahahaha!

Toe-Tally Agree with you! I about fell outta my chair when I saw that Jamie Foxx of all people was doing something at the CMA's. Jamie Foxx??

Country just ain't country any longer. That's why it always lifts my spirits when I slid on a little bluegrass from the old days!

:)

Nunnie's Attic said...

Oh good, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. I miss the music of Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Kitty Wells and a slew of men that twang with the best of them.

Actually, if we can have radio stations that only play "rock" music from the 50s and 60s - why can't we have country stations that do that? All I can ever seem to find are stations that play "Wayback Wednesdays" from 6:00 - 6:25 PM.

Love,
Julie