Tuesday December 11, 2007.
As an already grey day grew darker--at or around 3:30ish, I decided to watch "Out Of Africa" (The girls rented it for the scenery and I missed it in 19??). What a perfect way to top off an already dismal day. Even though the house was completely dark (thank goodness my tree is up) ½ way through…that movie found it's way into my Top 10.
Do I EVEN need a spoiler alert here?
My heart raced and ached when the train puffed along the tracks and the narrator began, "I had a farm in Africa."
My mind screamed at Karen (Meryl Streep's character)to not go through with a broken-hearted wedding of convenience.
My stomach butterflied when Denys (Robert Redford's character)played the Victrola and they danced in the moonlight on the Serengeti.
I cursed at the moment when I realized she would have to leave her home. And then balled, once again, as she tied a sale tag around the coo-coo clock.
I cheered outloud at the town meeting when she fell to her knees; begging the consular to give her people a tiny piece of the land, so they could remain together. Even though my tears fell at every John Barry musical crescendo, I ugly cried when her loyal "worker" called her Karen at their final good-bye.
******
The clock read 6:30, and the house was cold and dark (save for the tree) as I struggled to remember where I was, if I had children, and what year it was.
My tears were gone and the credits had rolled when I finally came out of my self imposed story immersion/Kleenex/Mickey Mouse blanket cocoon.
The movie message was powerfully clear. Don't settle for 2nd best, stay true to yourself, and accept love without strings. It was a story filled with inspiration to live passionately each and every day.
I effortlessly sat down and wrote each child their Christmas letter.
A reflective Tuesday.Do I EVEN need a spoiler alert here?
My heart raced and ached when the train puffed along the tracks and the narrator began, "I had a farm in Africa."
My mind screamed at Karen (Meryl Streep's character)to not go through with a broken-hearted wedding of convenience.
My stomach butterflied when Denys (Robert Redford's character)played the Victrola and they danced in the moonlight on the Serengeti.
I cursed at the moment when I realized she would have to leave her home. And then balled, once again, as she tied a sale tag around the coo-coo clock.
I cheered outloud at the town meeting when she fell to her knees; begging the consular to give her people a tiny piece of the land, so they could remain together. Even though my tears fell at every John Barry musical crescendo, I ugly cried when her loyal "worker" called her Karen at their final good-bye.
******
The clock read 6:30, and the house was cold and dark (save for the tree) as I struggled to remember where I was, if I had children, and what year it was.
My tears were gone and the credits had rolled when I finally came out of my self imposed story immersion/Kleenex/Mickey Mouse blanket cocoon.
The movie message was powerfully clear. Don't settle for 2nd best, stay true to yourself, and accept love without strings. It was a story filled with inspiration to live passionately each and every day.
I effortlessly sat down and wrote each child their Christmas letter.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Cleaned the house.
Grocery shopped with a menu, list, and coupons.
Smiled and chatted with the cashier. Paid the bills.
Watched the 90 minute republican debate.
Sent out three articles and one query letter.
Hung the stockings, then slipped in yesterday's letters.
Worked on some logistics for the big adventure.
Tweaked end of year slide show.
Called Florida and all my siblings.
While the Christmas music played old favorites like Evie's "C'mon Ring Those Bells" to family holiday standards like Miriah & The Judds, to some new Josh Groban…
...yesterday, I made the mundane feel like a momentous occasion.
Cleaned the house.
Grocery shopped with a menu, list, and coupons.
Smiled and chatted with the cashier. Paid the bills.
Watched the 90 minute republican debate.
Sent out three articles and one query letter.
Hung the stockings, then slipped in yesterday's letters.
Worked on some logistics for the big adventure.
Tweaked end of year slide show.
Called Florida and all my siblings.
Critiqued some content for Jen's web page.
Cleared the laundry table.
Researched New York City setting, then wrote 3 more chapters in "the book."
Cleared the laundry table.
Researched New York City setting, then wrote 3 more chapters in "the book."
******
While the Christmas music played old favorites like Evie's "C'mon Ring Those Bells" to family holiday standards like Miriah & The Judds, to some new Josh Groban…
A Wednesday to remember.
I mourn with my mom on the loss of her brother,
And my cousins: Becky, Bonnie, Barry, Bruce & their families.
May God bless and sustain you today, and until we meet again.
Arch Bauer
1927 ~ 2007
And my cousins: Becky, Bonnie, Barry, Bruce & their families.
May God bless and sustain you today, and until we meet again.
Arch Bauer
1927 ~ 2007

Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.com


1 Got Comments?:
I have never seen "Out of Africa," but dadgum it, after reading that review, I'm going to!
Post a Comment