There Will Be Blood The acting was acceptable, even great, at times. The cinematography was extraordinary. The setting, wardrobe, and musical score; all a step up from ordinary. Where this movie fell totally apart and headed straight south was in its story. There wasn’t one.
Note to moviemakers--don’t make me think that at any moment the DVD player will explode and black gold will come pouring into my living room. Don't mess with me for 18 minutes of oil well escapades and music hinting at disaster that never materializes. I’ll tell you about disaster. Disaster was in the middle. I only stay tuned because I had already wasted a good 20 minutes of the nicest day of the year, and I was clinging to hope. Hope that someone would throw me a bone. Hope for an inkling of a connection with the characters. Hope that never came. Nothing. I’ve seen Beverly Hillbillies episodes that had more storyline. The ending was brutal and longer than the beginning. Oil man went straight from tiny shack in the woods, to the first thing ya know ‘ole Jed’s a millionaire. And an alcoholic. Then he dies in an alley (of his mansion’s two lane billiard room) Sorry for the spoiler, but seriously, I don’t want anyone I know, or you Rita, to waste one minute on this movie. I was probably watching the antagonizing bowling alley reprimand from the delusional so-called bishop (played by Satan, himself) when I received this MySpace Bulletin from Dan G. And I quote. There will be blood ? More like, there will be no point to this movie, oh and its dumb and point less. . . and somewhat boring, and overall not even remotely good or even worth watching. I think that is what they were going to call it, but figured no theater owners could fit that all on their marquee. . . so they went with there will be blood . If i see one more movie that critics keep saying is great, and it wins awards. . . and then turns out to suck. . . BIG TIME. . . . oh, then trust me. . . there will be blood . . . . . .
This is without a doubt the poorest written script ever nominated for an academy award. That’s right, and I include "Terms Of Endearment" in there, as well. I wanted to place it 2nd to the last on my list of movies I could kick myself for watching. But then I remembered, I only watched about 14 minutes of “Christmas With The Cranks”
Story—moviemakers—it’s all about the story and the characters. Make me love them (or hate them). Let them be human. Let them tell the story. Throw in some brilliant dialogue, breathtaking scenery, sets that become characters in their own unique way, and you’ve got me every time. I won’t spoil this one because you MUST see it. There’s a 2 second rated R scene (totally unnecessary) and so I place it reverently behind “Return To Me” on my Top 10 list.
My view on comments:
I don't want you to leave a comment for leaving a comments sake!
Know what I mean?
If something I've said or a photo evokes an emotion, by all means, comment away.
But sometimes, less is more.
That's just my humble opinion.
Property of Julee Ann Frey, Inc. Any other quotes or links have been posted by request or given proper recognition. I would ask that you do the same when quoting from or linking to my sites.
4 Got Comments?:
Why?
I write a boomer consumer blog called The Survive and Thrive Boomer Guide at http://boomersurvive-thriveguide.typepad.com.
Rita
There Will Be Blood
The acting was acceptable, even great, at times. The cinematography was extraordinary. The setting, wardrobe, and musical score; all a step up from ordinary.
Where this movie fell totally apart and headed straight south was in its story. There wasn’t one.
Note to moviemakers--don’t make me think that at any moment the DVD player will explode and black gold will come pouring into my living room.
Don't mess with me for 18 minutes of oil well escapades and music hinting at disaster that never materializes. I’ll tell you about disaster. Disaster was in the middle. I only stay tuned because I had already wasted a good 20 minutes of the nicest day of the year, and I was clinging to hope. Hope that someone would throw me a bone. Hope for an inkling of a connection with the characters. Hope that never came. Nothing. I’ve seen Beverly Hillbillies episodes that had more storyline. The ending was brutal and longer than the beginning. Oil man went straight from tiny shack in the woods, to the first thing ya know ‘ole Jed’s a millionaire. And an alcoholic. Then he dies in an alley (of his mansion’s two lane billiard room)
Sorry for the spoiler, but seriously, I don’t want anyone I know, or you Rita, to waste one minute on this movie.
I was probably watching the antagonizing bowling alley reprimand from the delusional so-called bishop (played by Satan, himself) when I received this MySpace Bulletin from Dan G. And I quote. There will be blood ? More like, there will be no point to this movie, oh and its dumb and point less. . . and somewhat boring, and overall not even remotely good or even worth watching. I think that is what they were going to call it, but figured no theater owners could fit that all on their marquee. . . so they went with there will be blood .
If i see one more movie that critics keep saying is great, and it wins awards. . . and then turns out to suck. . . BIG TIME. . . . oh, then trust me. . . there will be blood . . . . . .
This is without a doubt the poorest written script ever nominated for an academy award. That’s right, and I include "Terms Of Endearment" in there, as well. I wanted to place it 2nd to the last on my list of movies I could kick myself for watching. But then I remembered, I only watched about 14 minutes of “Christmas With The Cranks”
So last place it is.
On the other hand, thanks for the The Girl In The Café recommendation Ruth.
Story—moviemakers—it’s all about the story and the characters. Make me love them (or hate them). Let them be human. Let them tell the story. Throw in some brilliant dialogue, breathtaking scenery, sets that become characters in their own unique way, and you’ve got me every time. I won’t spoil this one because you MUST see it. There’s a 2 second rated R scene (totally unnecessary) and so I place it reverently behind “Return To Me” on my Top 10 list.
Thank you for the review. I haven't seen the movie and wondered if it was worth my time. I passed it up earlier because I don't like violent movies.
Rita
Wrong...
Awesome Story. It's talking about america not the characters.
But hey if you didn't like you didn't like
Your Son
Post a Comment