Sometimes—ok—all the time, it only takes a slight change in perspective, to gain a whole new outlook.
I’m looking out my giant single-paned, non-thermal, approximately 70-year old picture window.
My front door is open, the furnace is set at 59 and just kicked in, but I need to see, hear, and smell the rain.
The reason I can hammer away at my keyboard AND see out the picture window is because I turned my sectional to cover the fireplace for the summer!
My front door is open, the furnace is set at 59 and just kicked in, but I need to see, hear, and smell the rain.
The reason I can hammer away at my keyboard AND see out the picture window is because I turned my sectional to cover the fireplace for the summer!
I’ve always been one to move my furniture around so heaven knows why I bought a piece that only really “went” one way. Before Melissa left, we started a little cleaning binge. She was purging things she would never need here anymore. Things like war-torn jeans, contact lens cases, sunless tanning lotion, and her bedroom. I attacked the living room, and when we finished she had a carry-on sized suitcase packed for 6 months, and I had created a new (and technically the only other "way" to park the sectional) layout.
As is common with most sectionals, mine can sit up to six comfortably. Five out of the six seats are optimal TV viewing. The sixth is questionable. Even when I’m reading, writing, or napping I always choose the seats facing the TV.
Until today, when I laid claim to a Chicago roommate's TV tray (for lamp, coffee, breakfast, and my new book Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist) and plunked my self down facing the great outdoors. I can’t even see the TV in my peripheral vision. Ahhhhh.
It’s all green and good. I can see the medium sized barn peeking through the evergreens across the street. That splash of red has not caught my attention in ages. Barns. I have a miniature one in my back yard, hence the “before” picture. By summer’s end I have a whole new vision for this former kid’s clubhouse. I’ve told no one this secret, but you’ll be the first to see “after” pictures.
I hear a siren blare out it’s warning, Look out! Move out of my way! I’m on an urgent mission! Someone, somewhere is in need of help.
Aren’t we all?
The traffic is steady and sometimes I wonder if it’s all on a giant loop. Get up, go to work, come home. 24-7. 40 hours a week.
Hup 2-3-4. Hup 2-3-4.
Yesterday I jumped out of the loop (not that I have a job or anything, but I’m just saying I did something out of the ordinary) and planted my perennials, hence the “before” picture. The dirt felt smooth and smelled fresh even with a bag of cow manure mixed in. At the end of the day, my hands looked like those of a 10-year old boy who has never seen the likes of a video game controller.
The UPS truck just went by and beeped. ☺
The porch beckons as if to say, It’s Friday, please gather your friends and/or family, and have leisurely conversation, on me. Conversation. Tête-à-tête. Discussion. Exchange. You make a comment, I answer or ask questions. Dialogue. Banter.
Is it a lost art?
A yellow dump truck filled with sand goes by north. A minute and ½ later it goes by south, slowing down and turning around in the subdivision to head back north. In about a ½ minute it goes by south again. Then north. Then South. North and South. Sorth and Nouth.
Somebody ordered sand.
Yesterday at coffee time, (not happy with how many breaks I needed while planting two tiny flowerbeds) I plopped my camp chair right on the sight where our sandbox used to sit. I heard little voices in my head. Mom? Quick pause. Mooom? Quicker pause. Mooooooooom, can we turn the hose on so we can have a river in our sandbox city? Can we huh, mom? Pleeeeeaaaase? I know I said yes to this more often than not, but the kids like to tease me now and say I NEVER said yes. Yes, the same kids that are all up in my face about conservation and digging wells in Africa. ☺
I’m not sure I have a well-defined point to this post. I’m working hard at being positive. I agree with Charles Swindoll = Attitude Is Everything
and Patti LaBelle = I'm feeling good from my head to my shoes,
Know where I'm going and I know what to do
I tidied up my point of view
I got a new attitude.
There will always be hard times, the job, ga$ prices and guzzlers, war, politicians, and diseases, but today I’m looking out my window with a new point of view.
Around 2:15 watch the look on Brent's face when Nigel talks about dancing at "clubs".
Around 2:57 watch the crowd explode in cheers for this kid.
Around 3:20 ignore the Triple x production company, until I can find a Youtuber replacement.




1 Got Comments?:
I love your blog!
Post a Comment