June 11, 2008

Cousins Part I

I've wanted to write, in depth, about cousins. Mine, and my kids'.  Seems like the appropriate place to start would be with mine, at the very least, the oldest of the freyclan, which would be Ang.  And so I'll do what I typically do and not be typical. In honor of the groom this one will be for Nicholas Mark~



Dear Nic,
I don't know how you've always felt about me, but I've held a special place in my heart for you through the years.


At first, I think my love came from the buddies that you and Ben were from the start:
But somewhere along the road in our stories, I've grown to love the man you've become. 




From one to deuce
From the cabbage patch to lego villages
From Irving to Barry
From back yard star wars to space mountain. 
From b-b guns to laser tag
From  the deep end of gram's pool to high rise news
From springhill tst to ed debevics
From hofmaster tents to 1212 michigan
From high school plays to 2nd city
From IU to IO
From the Near North (eastern) side to WMU
From IN to MI to IL to MI and back to IN
From buddies to best men.

When you were little I don't EVER remember you wading in the waters.  You would always come running from the bath house and jump feet first into the deep end.  (Or down the dunes and full tilt into Lake Michigan) It did not matter if the pool had just been opened and the heater had not warmed the water.  It did not matter if the girl cousins were trying to dodge waves or skim out every tiny water bug.  It did not matter if you had a towel, goggles, or had waited 2 hours since eating.  

You define jumping into the deep end.
 
Then you left home and tested all the big-world-out-there waters.  Full force, once again. Sometimes, you floundered; in life, in relationships, in hopes and dreams.  We all do.  That's how we grow, learn, thrive and become ourselves.
  
Saturday, as you stand alongside that swimming pool and the love of your life, may  you feel the arms of family and friends buoying you. May you feel wrapped in the deep deep waters of Victoria's, and more importantly, God's amazing love. Keep living passionately and here's to Mr. & Mrs. Nicholas Owen make a big cannonball splash; doing what they were put here to do. 
Love,
Aunt,
 
P.S. Since I am the photographer's assistant, I say we recreate this last picture and then for sure, one of the buddies and their girls.

Open invitation to come to the beach, dinner, or just sit under the stars and around a campfire along the lake.  

3 Got Comments?:

savvycityfarmer said...

Sleepless er (speechless in Remington)

This will end up to my only break today

We're on the countdown now...the blessing are flowing like tears...

The peace that passes all understanding is raining over this place...soft words, touch, commitment, unity and Nic in true form....

A new life lies just ahead...the deep end has been swept and shocked and sits waiting for the splash that will send the water up over the sides.

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

STOP MAKING ME CRY!!!
And promise me you'll still be blogging on my sons wedding day.

Anonymous said...

He Mostly Jumped in because he had to pee so much...