August 17, 2008

Song & Dance

Charlie & Co:  
The show was unbelievable! We laughed, I cried, and we were beyond entertained. It did our hearts good to be introduced as "the parents of my best friend." Not only are you guys amazingly talented, your heart and soul shows through everytime your feet hit the stage. We will always have a soft spot in our hearts for you. Come over.
 
Before I get into the "real" anniversary posts this week, I wanted to play catch up, and I'm changing the  "I" to "we" for a bit here at One Baby Boomers Story.

When we were married 31 years ago this summer, we took off from our ham sandwich-fountain-in-wedding-cake-lawn reception and headed around Lake Michigan for our honeymoon.  Yeah, I know, such forward thinking.  While driving from Vacancy to Vacancy, we uncovered a few gems.  We wanted to check out Door County but settled for a scenic overlook in Menominee Wisconsin. Somewhere around Esconaba in da moonlight, we stumbled upon a cabin, with Lake Michigan lapping our doorstep. We ate a  leisurely breakfast at White Birch Inn in Harbor Springs. Right down the road, at Boyne Highlands, a fledgeling cast was premiering it's dinner theatre at at a resort known more for it's winter activities. A few years later some friends intvited us to check out the dinner theatre, but as we rounded the corner in Petoskey, a vote settled us in for a brunch at Stafford's Bay View Inn.  I guess we wanted to visit rather than be entertained.  

That's all changed now.  Two years ago, (around our anniversary and a couple weeks before the Pilke wedding) we grabbed Melissa at camp and headed up to watch her friends in the second longest running dinner theatre in the country. 

Last year, we and Boyne Highlands Dinner Theatre starring The Young Americans celebrated our 30th anniversary.  Melissa performed with that cast and we all got to catch it even with the Schmilke wedding.  

This year we drove up, just the two of us, to celebrate our 31st anniversary.  We didn't win the prize, namely because we didn't announce it and more importantly because another couple was celebrating their 70th.       

Since Charlie kept my Zinfandel glass filled, Mark drove home and I spun the tunes from the iPod, until we hit the driveway, almost forgot to let the dog off the porch, and fell into bed at around 4am. 

All three years will always hold a special place for us, so it's a tradition now.  Since we can't prearrange a marriage for Melissa, we'll concentrate on planning other aspects of her life. We're funding her, so we should get a say, no?  In the spring of '09 the YA's will travel to Australia and the same cast will perform at Boyne. You must go with us.


Music is a world within itself...
...with a language we all understand.

Let it play on.

2 Got Comments?:

Kate said...

I'm/We're in!

Congrats on your anniversary and your success as a team in every way.

The Lallo Family said...

GO YA's!!! We will be joining you for a show with the kids some year for sure! We are trying to wait till "Uncle Dan" can come along with my parents! I remember the last time we saw a show, Dan was in it and WOW was it AMAZING! Such a GREAT NIGHT!!!