September 04, 2008

Sarah, Palin, And Tall

What’s the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom?
Lipstick!
Heads up SNL: Hurry, get Tina Fey back for your 11-08-08 show.


I know, as bloggers, we have a pulse on everything happening in this great land of ours. I wasn’t going to go here-and I only have a nickel’s worth, but down on the corner and out in the street I feel complelled to tap my feet.

Based on last night’s speech, and I won’t (can’t) go beyond that, because---well---that’s all I have. I haven’t done my research and I get all my opinions from---dare I say it---myself? Honestly people, aren’t speeches where most of us are getting all our opinions during this campaign?

Let me be cynical her for a bit because as Lily Thomlin said, “No matter how cynical I get, it’s just never enough to keep up.” 
Aren’t speeches grand Barack? Even though she didn’t mention his name, doesn’t mean I can’t. It's amazing to me that speeches can be written by others, rehearsed for days, and come across like a window into the speech giver's soul. It makes me mad when I, and others believe everything they hear in a speech and turn our filters off while listening.

Having said all that, last night at the RNC, the VP candidate hit a grand slam. I believe she not only energized the R’s, she riled up all the D’s that think they’ve captured lightening in a bottle.
 
Speeches can energize. Sarah Palin not only energized the right, she got the left shakin' a bit in their non-cowboy boots. Linda Feldmann of the Christian Science Monitor said, "All the gals, right-to-life, home-schoolers, (middle of the road empty nest moms) were going to vote for McCain, but they weren’t going to work for him. Now they’re going to work for him.” Parentheseis mine.

Off rant topic:
Answer me this, when the D’s talk of the last eight years and the domestic (I don’t want to argue about the war or America’s image right now) middle and lower class mess we’re in and how the Bush administration has made the rich richer and poor poorer, I think they forget about the 2003 Child Tax Credit, 2004’s Homestead Tax Credit, and our recent jumpstart-the-economy $1200 rebates that you and I both received. 
Or maybe not. 
Maybe, just maybe we’ll get that plus some if the D’s are elected. Maybe we’ll get free health care for everyone. Maybe they will end the war and stop the genocide in Darfur.  Yes, we can. 
I hope.

But back to my rant last night’s speech. This morning, I heard a D female senetor say, "last night was more of the same." What was she watching? I have never seen anything like last night. Sarah, Plain, And Tall was anything but.  She was interesting. She was different. She was not condescending, ahem, cough, cough, hillary, cough. She came across as a normal person, not a celebrity with the ability to read speeches.
 
And since we’re talking about speeches here, I just don’t know if I can pull the O lever because of his guns and roses religion gaffe. Her response, “In small towns, we don’t quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren’t listening,” she said. “We tend to prefer candidates who don’t talk about us one way in Scranton and another way in San Francisco.
 
She seemed like one of us. Like a real person. No, not person, mom. A hockey mom, to boot. Did you see the Michigan delegation in their Redwing Jerseys? That was important to me!

Balance, that’s what I liked. 
I like that I liked her. 
Liked her? What am I saying, she is my total girl crush. I know, I know, one heartbeat away, blah, blah, blah. As far as running mates are concerned the score is R’s =1 D’s = same old, same old.
 
My favorite line:“I’m not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I’ve learned quickly, these past few days, that if you’re not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone.

The pundits say, “Normally, vice-presidential nominees don’t end up swinging the outcome of a presidential race. Too bad we can’t do an ‘ole ticket swich-a-roo. But I’m so looking forward to the VP debates. More stellar TV.

With apologies to my kids (hey did you know Kate bought a PT Cruiser?) and since I can’t force a Condoleeza Rice/Al Gore third party ticket I guess I’m still faced with two choices. After last night’s speech, and all the other speeches given since Oprah threw Barack’s hat in the ring, I’m leaning towards havin’ me a good ‘ole bowl of juicy red strawberries.

Early in the evenin just about supper time,
Over by the courthouse they're starting to unwind...
Julee and the po' boys are playin'
Leave a comment; tap your feet.

9 Got Comments?:

Kate said...

I'd type a longer response, but they'll be starting up again on WGVU and the couch is waiting! The girls and I are mesmerized...but for the RIGHT reasons, not because she's a woman or because she has good shoes! She might be the conservative breath of fresh air we waited for. (she might want to be cautious of excess sarcasm though!)

Jake VanKersen said...

You should check into some of the facts that Gov. Palin has been talking about in some of her speeches. For one her plane was not sold on ebay, it was posted on ebay but was not sold. It was sold by a broker and for less money then it was worth.

She called out Senator Obama for not for not passing legislation in the State or The Senate which is not true. During his eight years in the State senate he passed numerous pieces of legislation.

Yes, speeches are usually written along with other people and rehearsed. However, the important thing is what is said in a speech. Yes, she made a great speech but where was the substance?

In Senator Obama's acceptance speech last week he spoke clearly about the issues and what his plans were for the future. I didn't hear her or Senator McCain speak about the issues. They were quick to spend a good amount of time attacking Senator Obama though.

Was her speech effective? Without a doubt. Did it contain substance? I would so no, not at all.

Are we Democrats shaking in our boots? Some might be but this Democrat is not. I think that when the debates heat up we are going to see that the Republican ticket is more of the same.

Also, a few years back President Bush passed some laws that were considered an attack on the middle class. Some of the cuts were made in areas like after school programs and student loans and grants. The jumpstart the economy rebate this year has yet to be effective as many people used them to pay their credit card bills and other bills. Not too mention the tax breaks for the companies sending jobs overseas and protecting banks that caused the housing crisis.

Victoria said...

personally I think she wrote her own speech (cityfarmer)

Angela said...

You gutsy gal...I just blogged in reference to such. Personally, I don't have a good sense about her and I question McCain's judgement. I am not comfortable with her potential to be Commander in Chief, it is unbelievable to me! Let's just say I about blew a gasket. Ah, so we agree to disagree.

Jake VanKersen said...

She didn't write her own speech. It was written by a President Bush aide named Matthew Scully

savvycityfarmer said...

Hi Jake Aunt Joy here...

mmmmm... she COULD have written it even tho she didn't.

What's in a speech? What follows the speech, now that's where it gets important...and what's in a debate?

If you want to talk about shaking in your boots, well that was me months ago..not wanting to vote at all... one can speak clearly or not clealry about the issues ... oh well...

how could anyone be comfortable with O. as commander in chief....a senator with just as little of experience who turns his back on partially aborted babies!

... is there really anyone qualified to do what needs to be done...however if we can shake up Washington....well that's a sight I'd love to behold.

Jake VanKersen said...

Hey Aunt Joy,

I should begin with saying that I love talking about politics. It is a chance to challenge one another on opinions and if we do it right see the other side. That is one of the reason why I respect Senator Obama so much. If you look up his acceptance speech he had a wonderful moment in which he addressed key issues. He spoke about abortion, immigration, and gun control. He acknowledged that there are differences but we can all agree on meeting in the middle and working towards a common goal.

I trust Senator Obama because of what he has done after his speeches. He will give a speech on race and then work on building bridges. He will give a speech on faith and then build a campaign around serving. He will give a speech about change and then put change into effect. He will give a speech about changing Washington and then not take money from lobbyist. He gives a speech about running an honorable campaign and has yet to throw mud at John McCain. He isn't running for Jesus so he is allowed to make mistakes, but for the most part I trust him.

He served eight years in the State Senate, four in the US, and has run an amazing campaign. What does he need in way of experience? To me he has proved that he can do this job. At the very least he can surround himself around intelligent advisors who will counsel him before he makes the decision as the leader. Besides who has a longer resume then Vice President Cheney and look where we are now. I'm more comfortable with his experience than John McCain who has sold out his beliefs to this current President.

As a lawmaker one aspect of his job is to uphold constitutional rights. I'm a pro-life man myself but in this country the law has upheld Roe vs Wade. I believe that when Senator Obama voted against that bill it wasn't because he wanted babies to die, I believe he was upholding the law. I disagree with him, but I feel that the most effective way to lower the abortion rate in this country is through education and a variety of birth control. I rather fight that fight then trying to overturn a Supreme Court ruling, there will be more victories there.

As for whether or not we can shake up Washington...Obama's campaign has always been about the people. He wants us to think of him as a public servant. The evidence of this can be seen in where he gets his money. He has declined to use the public election fund in favor of raising money from the people who support his campaign and raises more than the McCain campaign I might add. His famous motto, "Yes We Can" is a call to arms for us to be the change that we wish to see. Will he shake up Washington? Only if we help him out.

Of course this is just my two cents

Thanks Julee for allowing this forum through your blog.

Jake

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

Oh Jake. Jake, jake, jake, jake, jake.

If only I could throw a donut at you again.

Sorry, That made me giggle, I could not resist.

A few points-

Your buddy Barack denied medical attention to babies that survived abortions right here in my back yard. Read my blog.

He wants to tax the "evil corporations" but then says he is going to keep and bring jobs back to America! American has the second largest corporate tax in the world!!! Corporations are totally discouraged from starting here. You can not have it both ways!

The "change:" he wants to put in effect is going to cost the taxpayer a ton! He wanted to raise taxes (until last week when he started to backpedal that maybe raises taxes was not the best way to stimulate the economy".)

The man had been tutored by socialist and communist all through his life. Read "The Audacity of Socialism" at Investors Business Daily - fascinating.

Germany thought they needed radical change too..

The people need power slowly but surely returned to them. Not an egomaniac in office.

McCain is not Bush- he is not my dream choice either but thank goodness he is not Barack.


And "intelligent advisors"????? Have you heard a moronic word that Biden has said in the last 10 days??? Talk about NOT QUALIFIED!!!!

Owen said...

You're not going to sway Jake.

He differs from you at a much more fundamental level then any debate over policy minutia is going to get at.

Jake has differing presuppositions than you do regarding both human nature and Divine intention, and it's his views on these more fundamental levels that ultimately decide in advance his views at the level of minutia that you're discussing.

This is to say that his political commitments are what they are by virtue of his conception of righteousness (peace, brotherhood, unity, and all that nonsense), and his conception of righteousness is what it is by virtue of his view of who Christ is.

If you believe that Christ is out there trying his darnedest to unite the world in peace, then you are going to see as righteous those who claim to be aiding Him in that cause.

So when a uniter comes along speaking much of peace and change and speaking none of sin and wrath, you can be sure that folks will fall head over heals for him... because they mistakenly think that Christ was a uniter bringing change and peace.

But he was not.

Again, you will not change Jake's mind about political matters because Jake's mind is fundamentally awash in a satanic love of unity.