Yesterday I attended two life celebrations.
One was a baby shower for Alea. The decorations were pink, blue, and festive. The cake was adorable, and I'm pretty sure not one more person could have fit in their family room turned baby shower party. There was our usual reconnection of that high school crew. (Missed ya, Jess) There were the moms that can always chatter amongst themselves, AND watch the parade of gift opening, all while reassuring Michele that she looks way to young to have a grandbaby.
The year was 1988, and I'm not sure how it came to be, but I became the day care provider for Alea and her sister Charlotte. They could not have had bigger eyes or wider wonder at the world around them. To this day they, and their family have remained together and connected to ours in an honest and unique way. We can all pick up where we left off, and I know they would and did throw bonfire, sledding, and overnight parties every week-end, if they thought we'd all show up. They've parented three amazing and talented girls, and I wouldn't have missed celebrating Alea's (and Nate's) upcoming new arrival. They will make awesome parents, and the main reason is their own. I will keep you updated.
The other was the celebration of Gilana Shira Alpert's all way too short life. I didn't know Gilana personally, but her brother David is who I always liked to refer to as, "Melissa's Jewish Friend." David came into our lives in the summer of 2004. I dare say THAT high school crew spent 75 out of those 90 long summer days together. His older sister never came into the picture, she was off to change the world. And she did. You can read about her here. No one that lives in this town will ever forget David and his family. The theatre where Gilana first premeried as a 3-month-old was the venue for her celebration of life. The synagogue, where her dad is the Rabbi would not even begin to hold the community that needed to show support and say their own good-bye's. Gilana was not only Rabbi Alan and Anna's daughter, she was our community's daughter. And all 1500 or so of us came together late Sunday afternoon. We listened to Beatles songs from Across The Universe (Nick C.) to Blackbird, sung by an IU friend playing Gilana's guitar. We saw family videos, and listened while the current MS choir (most of whom did not know her) sang Seasons Of Love, while the tears ran down their cheeks. You could feel the love tonight. It was palpable. Even though it was a rainy gray day in West Michigan, shining through the lamposts and marquee lights lining the theatre street, was light from Gilana's star. A shining star from one of God's chosen children.



3 Got Comments?:
The celebration of Gilana's life sounds like it was very meaningful. Beatles songs...Blackbird...how beautiful.
What fun times it sounds like you guys had! Wow.
Very nice!
I am trying to remember if I knew about this person in your life...can't say as I have...another family loses a daughter....oh my
Post a Comment